Sunday, April 13, 2008

Nifty Thrifty: Homemade Laundry Detergent

Anyone that knows me, knows very well that I LOVE to save money or get a good deal. I'm the type of person that only buys items on sale or with a coupon. During these times, we overpay on so many everyday items. Therefore, we all deserve to save a little money, right?
Recently, my friend Michelle, has turned me on to making homemade laundry detergent. She bought a "kit", concocted the soap and gave me some to try. To my surprise, I LOVED it! For years now, I have been buying "Earth Friendly" cleaners and soaps in hopes of saving the world and avoiding as many chemicals as possible. Ah ha! This homemade goop is so much more economical, very fast to make along with much gratification.
If you think you can't make it, you are wrong. It was so simple and took no time at all. Here is the recipe I followed: Homemade Laundry Soap Add some water and a 2 gallon bucket to the items above, and voila, you have your very own detergent...smells nice too! I've also read on other sites that fabric softener is not needed when using this formula - another money saving, chemical free tip!


*Note: As the mixture cools, it does go from liquid to "Egg Drop Soup" - so don't be alarmed. You just use 1/2 c. per load of the slime.

How does this save money? The Simple Dollar has it all broken down for you. Take a look! Here in Northwest Indiana, I paid: $.99 for 1 bar of Fels Naptha soap, $3.79 for Borax, $2.29 for A&H Washing Powder, and $1.00 for a 2 gallon bucket. Not a bad savings!


1 comment:

~michelle pendergrass said...

For some reason, it makes me feel SO accomplished to do things this way.

I love this stuff!